News archive

Coming up

  • May 29, 2016 09:00Club match (Lay-by Pit closed for match duration)
  • June 5, 2016 09:00Club match (Common Pond closed for match duration)
  • June 11, 2016 09:00Festival match (Lay-by Pit closed)
  • June 12, 2016 09:00Festival match (Lay-by Pit closed)
AEC v1.0.4
Click on an event for more information

About the Club

The Club today

Today we endeavour to provide facilities against a background of competitive Commercial Fisheries. We strive to make our Lay-by Lake amongst the best silver fish venue in both local counties with masses of voluntary work and Lottery Awards grant funding put into it. Otter-fenced it gives security too for young anglers and privacy from the public creating a safe environment; its superb ambulant disabled facilities serve well. The seven miles of river are immensely popular and our Club still strives to maintain the wonderful spirit of friendship and companionship of like-minded individuals those wonderful old men who formed this club set out to achieve – and we honour them still!

The Club's history

Although the concept of the Club arises in late 1946 for its creation the first Minutes, written in long-hand with a fountain pen, run from April 22nd 1947.
Founder members of Bungay Cherry Tree Angling Club outside the Cherry Tree pub

Founder members of Bungay Cherry Tree Angling Club outside the Cherry Tree pub

In this record the membership is five shillings and three for Ladies with no junior rate. The Sprake Cup given then by local solicitors, still runs today. Later, matches are set two-weekly and a now quite rare enamelled Club badge is created. By 1950 There is a Lacon Cup, Roach Cup, and Pike cup only to be competed for, with 10 shillings for the largest perch too! By 1952 the Club assets are £9 and 4d. but the entry fees stay the same. On to the early 1960’s and the Waveney with its wonderful roach fishing attracts holiday makers from all over the Country with Black Country Canal anglers and Sheffielder’s donating large cups that have disappeared over the years. On the Common 140 pegs for the Suffolk Championship, and winning weights of 36 lbs of roach are the norm, in Club and opens. Of note though; the bottom weights are around 6 lbs for the 20 plus Club matches there.
Stuffed fish

Collection of stuffed fishes housed at he Club's HQ - later sold when funds ran low.

The Club Headquarters boast a collection of stuffed fishes, which are later sold for nearly £2000 when Foot and Mouth disease reduces the Club Funds to virtually zero as fishing on rivers is prevented by legislation – a crisis indeed. Dave Gladwell bought the roach featured here for £100 at the time. The Ditchingham, Club Pit features well which we held right up to 2010 with the Otter desecrations alongside cormorants practically denuding it. Carp hardly feature in the early days and one landed would be more than likely to be thought a “yarn” if caught bigger than 5 lbs, let alone one from the River. Trout crop up on the Common and at Ellingham, and like smelt and flounders landed, are contested as if eligible in matches. Sadly the annual Club Coach outing for the Charlish Cup on “foreign” venues, and a popular Club Dinner & Dance are defunct by 1992 as the membership and quality fishing declines. Pig slurry and farm discharges are eventually analysed as responsible for the decline of the roach in 1980’s, killing off small fry with high ammonia levels, and then of course, un-noticed at the time, as older roach died off the young were not there to take their places. The Club takes up the fight and although successful the emergence of water abstraction begins to take its toll. David Bellamy has success in getting the main offender removed from Redgrave Fen and re-sited through European funding. Now faced with re-channelling of the Waveney by the then National Rivers Authority into a flood-dominated drainage channel policy, great weirs are introduced, bends straightened and oxygenating riffles removed. A further euro grant aids a revision of these and today that struggle continues. But . . . be sure . . . if your Club and the then influential 12,000 strong Suffolk County Amalgamated Angling Association ,had not been at the very forefront of these crusades very little would have been achieved.